Joyce's Pecan Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Prepare and roll out Lard Crust Pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry. Trim; crimp edge as desired.
- For filling, in a mixing bowl combine eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter, and salt. Mix well. Stir in the pecan halves.*
- Place the pastry-lined pie plate on the oven rack. Carefully pour the filling into the pastry shell.
- To prevent over browning, cover edge of the pie with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours. Serves 8.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, prepare egg mixture as above, set aside 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Stir 1 cup of the pecans into the egg mixture and pour into prepared pie crust. Add remaining pecans to the reserved egg mixture; toss to coat. Arrange on top of the filling. Bake as above.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in lard until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the flour mixture is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
Nutrition Facts (Joyce's Pecan Pie)
- Per serving:
- 611 kcal ,
- 38 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 19 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 108 mg chol. ,
- 423 mg sodium ,
- 67 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 49 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.