- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place one of the prepared piecrust circles in a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom or in a 9-inch pie plate; press piecrust circle onto bottom and up sides of pan. Trim edges if necessary.
- For filling, melt chocolate pieces and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat; set aside. Beat remaining butter and the 2/3 cup granulated sugar in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until combined. Add the ground almonds, the whole egg, egg yolk, and melted chocolate mixture; mix well. Spread the chocolate mixture evenly over bottom of pastry-lined pan.
- For lattice top, cut the second prepared piecrust circle into 1/2-inch-wide strips using a fluted pastry wheel or knife. Carefully arrange pastry strips in a lattice design over chocolate mixture. Trim pastry strips even with the edge. Beat egg white in a small bowl until foamy; gently brush over lattice. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until crust is golden. (To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of crust with foil after 15 to 20 minutes of baking if necessary.) Cool completely on a wire rack. If using the tart pan, carefully remove sides.
- To serve, cut into wedges. If desired, serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream and fresh raspberries. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for coarse sugar at specialty food stores or request some from the bakery at your local supermarket.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In a chilled mixing bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
Nutrition Facts (Fudge Crostata)
- Per serving:
- 350 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 288 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 7 g pro.