Fresh Fruit and Cream Tarts
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare Rich Tart Pastry; divide dough into 8 portions. On a floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten 1 portion. Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 5 inches in diameter. Line a 4-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with pastry. Press pastry into fluted sides of tart pan; trim edges. Prick bottom and sides of pastry. Repeat with remaining 7 portions of pastry. Line pastry shells with a double thickness of foil. Place on a large baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes more or until pastry shells are golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare and chill Pastry Cream. To serve, divide the chilled Pastry Cream among the pastry shells. Arrange fresh fruit on top of each tart.* Remove sides of tart pans. Makes 8 slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Tarts can be assembled and chilled up to 4 hours before serving.
Large Fresh Fruit and Cream Tart:
Prepare Rich Tart Pastry as directed except roll the entire portion of dough on a floured surface, from center to edges, to a circle that is 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Ease pastry into pan without stretching it. Press pastry into fluted sides of tart pan and trim edges. Do not prick pastry. Bake as directed above. Cool tart completely. Spoon cream and top with fruit as directed above.
- In a heavy medium saucepan stir together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in half-and-half or light cream. If desired, add vanilla bean. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Gradually stir half of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks. Return all of the egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove vanilla bean. Strain into a bowl. If not using vanilla bean, stir in vanilla. Place bowl of pastry cream in a bowl of ice water; chill for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill 4 hours or until cold; do not stir. Makes 2 cups.
Rich Tart Pastry
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until pieces are pea size. In a small bowl stir together egg yolks and ice water. Gradually stir egg yolk mixture into flour mixture. Using your fingers, gently knead the pastry just until a ball forms. Cover pastry with plastic wrap and chill for 30 to 60 minutes or until pastry is easy to handle.
Nutrition Facts (Fresh Fruit and Cream Tarts)
- Per serving:
- 386 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 211 mg chol. ,
- 228 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 20 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.