Deep Dish Cherry-Berry Pie
- In a very large bowl combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in cherries and raspberries. Let stand 1 hour until fruit is partially thawed, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Meanwhile prepare pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1/2 of the pastry to a 17x12-inch rectangle; transfer* to a 13x9-inch baking dish. Trim edges to 1/2 inch over sides of the dish. Transfer partially thawed fruit to prepared dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining pastry to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 3/4-to 1-inch wide strips. Weave in a mock lattice atop filling, trimming and pressing lightly into pastry on the edges. Fold over pastry edge.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake about 2 hours or until bubbles begin to appear close to center of pie** , covering top lightly with foil after about 1 1/4 hours of baking to prevent top pastry edges from overbrowning
From the Test Kitchen
It is difficult to transfer this large a sheet of pastry. If tears occur just press the pastry back together once in the dish.
To be sure crust is done, carefully lift pie and check that bottom crust is browned.
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea sized. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to the side of the bowl. When flour mixture is moistened, gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide in half.