Crumb-Topped Apple Slab Pie
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with 18-inch-wide foil, extending the foil up over the edges of the pan; set aside. For dough: In a large bowl, stir together the 2-1/4 cups flour and the salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Using your fingers, gently knead the dough just until a ball forms.
- Preheat oven to 375F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 19x13-inch rectangle. Wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll it into the prepared baking pan. Ease dough into the pan and up the sides, being careful not to stretch it. Trim dough to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pan. Fold dough edge over and flute as desired.
- In an extra-large bowl, combine sugar, the 1/3 cup flour, and the cinnamon; add apples. Toss lightly until apples are coated. Spoon apple mixture into dough-lined pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle with Crumb Topping (pan will be full).
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover top with foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cool completely. Cut into rectangles. Makes 25 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To Bake Ahead:
Bake and cool as directed. Cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 24 hours; or chill for up to 3 days. Return to room temperature before serving.
Blogger Variation by Robyn Stone of Add A Pinch
For Robyn's version of this Dutch apple pie, substitute 1/2 cup packed brown sugar for the 2/3 cup granulated sugar that is combined with the sliced apples. When the easy apple pie filling is placed in the crust, drizzle with 1/2 cup homemade caramel sauce or purchased caramel ice cream topping. For the crumble topping, substitute 1 cup pretzel pieces for the oats.
- In a medium heavy saucepan combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in half-and-half, the water, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly (mixture might look curdled). Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm.
- In a large bowl, stir together quick-cooking rolled oats, packed brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chopped pecans.
Nutrition Facts (Crumb-Topped Apple Slab Pie)
- Per serving:
- 239 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 111 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.
How To Video
As a 100% NSC Disabled Veteran and having a husband and children who are always looking for the goodies to each before the holidays that would be a great thing to make a month or two in advance and then cook it on the day of the holiday.