- In a medium saucepan, stir together granulated sugar, flour, and the 2 tablespoons cold water. Add cranberries (sugar will dissolve as filling is heated). Cook and stir until boiling; cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cranberries pop. Remove from heat; stir in lemon slices. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Lattice-Top Pie. Transfer fruit mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Arrange pastry strips on filling as desired. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate. Crimp edge as desired.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and the 1 tablespoon water; brush onto pastry. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 25 minutes more or until the pastry strips are golden and filling is bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into wedges. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To Bake Ahead:
Bake and cool as directed. Cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 24 hours; or chill for up to 3 days. Return pie to room temperature before serving.
Pastry for Lattice-Top Pie
- In a bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Divide in half. One a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one dough ball into a disk. Roll disk from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, roll it around a rolling pin. Unroll it into a 9-inch pie plate, being careful not to stretch it. Transfer filling to dough-lined pie plate. Trim dough 1/2 inch beyond pie plate. Cut remaining dough circle into 1/2- to 3/4-inch-wide strips.