- In large bowl, stir together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, crystallized ginger, and orange peel. Add cherries and cranberries; toss gently to coat. If using fresh cherries, let stand about 15 minutes or until syrup forms, stirring occasionally. (If using frozen cherries, let stand about 45 minutes or until cherries are partially thawed but still icy.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten one portion of dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Pour fruit mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
- For lattice top, cut remaining rolled-out pastry into 3/4-inch strips. Twist strips and weave over filling in lattice pattern. Press ends of strips into bottom pastry rim. Fold bottom pastry over ends of strips; crimp edge. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar, if desired.
- Place pie on baking sheet. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 30 minutes (50 minutes if using frozen fruit). Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes more or until filling is bubbly 2 inches from edge and pastry is golden. Cool on wire rack. If desired, serve with Sweetened Whipped Cream or vanilla ice cream. Makes 8 servings.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- In large bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Using cold water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon water at a time over mixture, gently tossing with a fork until all is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball. For bottom pastry roll half of the dough into 13-inch circle.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In a chilled mixing bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Cherry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 512 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 341 mg sodium ,
- 83 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 43 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
Jennie Davis 655 Days Ago
I'll admit that this didn't quite have enough kick for me but it was one of the few recipes I could find that didn't call for cherry pie filling (what is that about?!?). Since the cranberries are already so tart I used frozen sweet cherries. I also used fresh ginger in place of the crystallized and added allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon (for the holidays!). All in all though, a solid pie recipe that I'm actually making again for another holiday party because it was such a hit at Thanksgiving!