Brandied Pumpkin Pies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Homemade Pastry; set aside.
- For filling, in an extra-large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, evaporated milk, brown sugar, cognac, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and cloves until combined. Divide the filling between the pastry shells. Cover edges of pies with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. Refrigerate within 2 hours; cover for longer storage. Top each serving with Sweetened Whipped Cream and sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Makes 2 pies (16 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake pies as directed; cool. Cover and chill for up to 2 days. Top each serving with whipped cream and sprinkle with crystallized ginger.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over mixture, gently tossing with a fork between additions and pushing mixture to side of bowl. (Add only enough water to moisten all of the mixture.) Divide dough in half; form into two balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll one ball of dough at a time into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Place a medium mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before beating. In the bowl, combine whipping cream and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer or rotary beater until soft peaks form (tips curl).
Nutrition Facts (Brandied Pumpkin Pies)
- Per serving:
- 437 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 108 mg chol. ,
- 233 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 8 g pro.