Two-Crust Blueberry Pie
- In a mixing bowl combine the 2 cups flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface flatten one dough ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and 3 tablespoons flour. Stir in berries and lemon peel. Gently toss berries until coated. Transfer berry mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate.
- On lightly floured surface roll remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. For a lattice crust, trim bottom pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Cut rolled pastry into 1/2-inch strips and weave strips over filling. Fold bottom crust over strip ends; trimming strips as necessary. For a 2-crust pie, trim bottom pastry to edge of pie plate. Cut slits in top crust for escape of steam; place on filling and fold edge under bottom pastry. Flute edge as desired.
- If desired, brush pastry top with a little milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Two-Crust Blueberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 379 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 140 mg sodium ,
- 53 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.
Phenyx Ravensfire 1606 Days Ago
I have trouble with the filling in this recipe coming out too soupy. 3 Tbs of flour is Not Enough! Should be either 3 Tbs cornstarch or 1/3 cup flour.