Berry Lemon Tart
- For filling, in a saucepan, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Add lemon peel, the 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Slowly stir half of the lemon mixture into the 3 egg yolks. Return all egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add butter all at once, stirring until completely melted. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour or for up to 2 days.
- Combine flour and the 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in the 1/3 cup butter using a pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas. Combine 1 beaten egg yolk, the 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons poppy seed; gradually stir into flour mixture. Gently knead dough just until mixture forms a ball.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch round tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. Roll pastry between two sheets of waxed paper into an 11-inch circle. Remove top paper. Invert pastry into tart pan; remove waxed paper. Trim pastry even with rim of pan. Using a fork, generously prick bottom and sides of pastry. Line pastry shell with double thickness of foil. Bake in 375 degree F oven for 7 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 9 to 10 minutes more or until golden. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, heat and stir apple jelly and 2 teaspoons water until melted. Cool slightly. Wash berries; drain and gently dry on several layers of paper towels.
- Loosen and remove sides of tart pan; place shell on serving platter. Spread lemon filling into shell. Top with berries. Brush berries gently with jelly mixture. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 4 hours. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Wrap pastry dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
Nutrition Facts (Berry Lemon Tart)
- Per serving:
- 328 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 144 mg chol. ,
- 8 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.