Apple-Cranberry Streusel Pie
- Stir together all-purpose flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water, a tablespoon at a time, over mixture, tossing gently until all is moistened. Form dough into ball. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge; fold under pastry and flute edge.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more until crust is golden. Cool in pie plate on a wire rack. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- For filling, pour boiling water over cranberries. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Mix cranberries and apples; place in pastry shell. Combine granulated sugar, the 3 tablespoons flour, apple pie spice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in half-and-half or light cream. Pour over fruit.
- For topping, combine the 1/3 cup flour, nuts, brown sugar, and nutmeg. Cut in margarine or butter with a pastry blender until the pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle over filling.
- Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in the 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until top is golden and fruit is tender. Cool 45 minutes on a wire rack. Drizzle with Vanilla Icing, if desired. Serve warm or cool.
- Combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until icing is of drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Cranberry Streusel Pie)
- Per serving:
- 422 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 4 mg chol. ,
- 192 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.
Diane Tillman 1423 Days Ago
i've been making this recipe since the 90's when it was originally published. I don't soak the cranberries, the tartness really is lovely with all of the sugary goodness and i double the streusel. It is just as lovely as it was 20 + years ago!!! PS i forgo the vanilla icing for a good scoop of vanilla ice cream and for OTT add dulce de leche!!