Apple Cranberry Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Stir together the 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Divide in half. Form each half into a ball.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges into 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate being careful not to stretch pastry.
- For filling, pour boiling water over cranberries. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. Mix cranberries and apples; place in the pastry-lined pie plate. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate. Brush edge with a little water.
- In a small bowl combine the 3/4 cup sugar, the 3 tablespoons flour, apple pie spice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in 1/3 cup half-and-half or cream. Pour over fruit.
- Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Place remaining pastry on filling; trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Brush with additional half-and-half or light cream. Sprinkle with some sugar. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare pie; cool. Let stand at room temperature up to 8 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Cranberry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 428 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 4 mg chol. ,
- 208 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.