- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add ground beef; cook until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks.
- Coat a 3- or 3 1/2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place the beef in cooker; stir in tomatoes, onion, sweet pepper, jalapeno pepper, raisins, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in the almonds and salt.
- Line the inside of each pita bread round half with a lettuce leaf. Spoon beef mixture into the pita bread halves; top beef mixture in each pita half with yogurt.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your ands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
To warm pitta bread halves, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap pita bread tigthly in foil; heat about 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Piccadillo-Style Beef)
- Per serving:
- 255 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 35 mg chol. ,
- 457 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 19 g pro.