- In a small saucepan combine molasses and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until butter melts. Pour into a large bowl; cool to room temperature. In a medium bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, cardamom, allspice, and pepper; set aside.
- Stir egg into molasses mixture. Stir in flour mixture until combined, kneading in flour mixture, if necessary. Divide dough in half. Wrap and chill for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide half of the dough into 6 portions. On a lightly floured surface or wooden board, roll each portion of the dough into a 10-inch rope, about 1/2-inch thick. Cut ropes crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Place pieces 1/2 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are light brown. Transfer to paper towels and let cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Fill a decorated recycled paper towel tube with cooled pfeffernuesse. Seal ends.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Pfeffernuesse)
- Per serving:
- 80 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 45 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.