Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- In a small saucepan heat 1/2 cup of the milk over low heat just until bubbles appear around the edge. Whisking constantly, add the chocolate and heat until chocolate is melted.
- Add the remaining milk. Whisk until combined and heated through.
- Spoon half of the schnapps into each of two 8-ounce mugs; add hot chocolate.
- Top each serving with whipped cream and sprinkle with crushed candy.
From the Test Kitchen
For a nonalcoholic version, use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract in place of the schnapps.
To crush peppermint candy, break a candy cane or peppermint stick into 1-inch pieces. Cover and process in a food processor. Or place candy pieces in a self-sealing heavy plastic bag. Cover with a towel; use a wooden mallet or rolling pin to crush the candy.
Nutrition Facts (Peppermint Hot Chocolate)
- Per serving:
- 377 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 18 mg chol. ,
- 81 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 42 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.