- Coat a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium heat about 1 minute. Add onion and leek; cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn. Cook about 5 minutes or until corn softens, stirring occasionally. Add 1 can of the chicken broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until the corn is very tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Transfer half the corn mixture to a blender or food processor; cover and blend or process until smooth. Return the pureed corn mixture to mixture in the Dutch oven.
- Add the remaining 1 can broth, the sweet pepper, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, cayenne pepper, and, if desired, saffron. Heat through. If desired, garnish with snipped fresh chives and/or additional ground black pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Reserve a portion of this soup and serve with a half sandwich for a light soup-and-sandwich lunch. For additional flavor, stir in any cooked vegetables of your choice.
Nutrition Facts (Pepper-Corn Chowder)
- Per serving:
- 155 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 323 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.