Pecan and Browned Butter Coffee Cake
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, without stirring, for 5 to 6 minutes or until butter becomes brown and fragrant. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and chill about 2 hours or freeze about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan or coat with cooking spray for baking; set aside.
- For filling, in a small bowl combine 3/4 cup of the pecans, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, and the 2 teaspoons flour. Add 3 tablespoons of the browned butter and work in with your fingers or a fork until mixture is crumbly; set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together the 3 cups flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat remaining browned butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups brown sugar; beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until combined. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and yogurt to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in the remaining 1 1/4 cups pecans.
- Spoon half of the batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle batter in pan evenly with filling. Spoon remaining batter over filling, spreading to cover.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool for 45 minutes more. Just before serving, drizzle with Coffee Icing.
From the Test Kitchen
TO MAKE AHEAD:
Prepare as directed, except do not drizzle with Coffee Icing. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; overwrap with foil. Label and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature overnight. To serve, drizzle with Coffee Icing.
- In a small bowl stir together milk and instant coffee crystals until coffee is dissolved. Stir in powdered sugar and enough additional milk to make icing a drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Pecan and Browned Butter Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 561 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 85 mg chol. ,
- 481 mg sodium ,
- 75 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 49 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.