- For filling, in a small saucepan combine the first three ingredients (through cornstarch); stir in Cranberry-Pear Butter and dates. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl stir together the next six ingredients (through cloves). In a large bowl beat butter with a mixer on medium for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and molasses. Beat until combined, scraping bowl as needed. Beat in egg until combined. Beat in flour mixture. Divide into thirds. Cover and chill dough until easy to handle (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time until 1/8 inch thick. Use a 2-inch fluted round cookie cutter to cut out dough. Place half of the cutouts 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet; spread about 1 teaspoon of the filling over center of each cutout.
- Use a 1/2- to 3/4-inch hors d'oeuvre cutter to cut centers from remaining cutouts; place on top of cutouts with filling. Press edges together with floured fingers or a fork to seal.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or just until edges are firm. Remove; cool on a wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Pear-Date Pockets)
- Per serving:
- 123 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 103 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.