"Peanuts" Butter Cookies
- In a large bowl beat peanut butter, butter, and shortening with a mixer on medium to high 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping bowl as needed. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll in additional granulated sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten by making crisscross marks with the tines of a fork.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Remove; cool on wire racks. If desired, fill a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag with chocolate frosting or melted chocolate. Snip off a small hole in one corner. Pipe chocolate frosting into a zigzag across cookie to look like Charlie Brown's shirt pattern.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 cup roasted cashew butter for peanut butter. Substitute 1/2 cup honey for brown sugar. If desired,stir 1 cup chopped roasted cashews into dough before chilling. Continue as directed. Makes about 50 cookies.
Nutrition Facts per cookie: 120 calories, 2 g protein, 14 g carb., 7 g total fat, 13 mg cholesterol, 2 g sat. fat, 0 g fiber, 1% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 78 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 3% iron
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts ("Peanuts" Butter Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 126 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 71 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.