Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Lightly coat foil with cooking spray; set pan aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat butter over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar and the water until sugar is dissolved. Stir in egg, oil, and vanilla. Stir in 1 cup of the flour and the baking powder until combined (batter will be thin).
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the batter to a small bowl; whisk in peanut butter and 1 tablespoon of the milk until smooth. In another small bowl stir together the remaining 1/4 cup flour and the cocoa powder. Stir flour mixture and the remaining 2 tablespoons milk into the remaining batter; stir in chocolate pieces.
- Pour the chocolate batter into the prepared baking pan. Spoon the peanut butter batter in small mounds onto chocolate batter. Using a table knife or a narrow metal spatula, swirl batters slightly to marble.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched and a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using the edges of the foil, lift uncut brownies out of pan. Cut into brownies.
From the Test Kitchen
Choose Splenda Sugar Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar. Decrease baking time to 15 to 18 minutes.
Per Serving with Substitute: Same as basic recipe, except 141 cal., 13 g carb. (6 g sugar).
Substitute 3/4 cup whole grain oat flour, whole grain corn flour, or white bean flour for 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or substitute 1/2 cup full-fat almond meal/flour for 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour. Or substitute 1 1/4 cups high-fiber flour or gluten-free baking flour (if using gluten-free baking flour, increase water to 1/2 cup) for all of the all-purpose flour. If using two flours, stir them together before adding to recipe.
Nutrition Facts (Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Brownies)
- Per serving:
- 152 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 66 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.