- In a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot combine sugar, peaches, and lemon juice. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Quickly stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks, turning and tilting jars after 20 minutes to distribute fruit evenly throughout the jam. Repeat as necessary. Makes 7 half-pints.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, place small batches of peeled and cut-up peaches in a food processor. Cover and process with on/off pulses until peaches are finely chopped.
Prepare as directed, except stir 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom into peach mixture after skimming off foam.
Sweet Basil-Peach Jam
Prepare as directed, except stir in 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil after skimming off foam.
Prepare as directed, except stir in 1/2 cup bourbon with the sugar, peaches, and lemon juice.
Prepare as directed, except stir in 2 finely chopped chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce with the sugar, peaches, and lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts (Peach Jam)
- Per serving:
- 54 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 0 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.