Zesty Vegetable Pasta Sauce
- In a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker, combine eggplant, onion, sweet pepper, garlic, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, and red pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain and keep warm. Reserve 5 cups sauce; store* as directed below. Use in Double-Sauced Vegetable Lasagna (see recipe below). Stir olives into remaining sauce. Serve with hot cooked noodles and, if desired, Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs. Makes 6 servings + reserves.
From the Test Kitchen
Place sauce in an airtight container. Seal and chill for up to 3 days.
Double-Sauced Vegetable Lasagna:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine one 16-ounce jar Alfredo sauce and one 10-ounce package frozen cut asparagus or chopped broccoli, thawed and well drained; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese and 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Spread 1 cup of the reserved sauce in the bottom of a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Top with four no-boil lasagna noodles, overlapping and breaking noodles as necessary to fit the dish. Spread half of the asparagus or broccoli mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture. Top with four more noodles. Spread 1 cup of the reserved sauce over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Top with four more noodles. Spread the remaining asparagus or broccoli mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture. Top with the remaining lasagna noodles, reserved sauce, and cheese mixture. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until lasagna is heated through. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving of Double-Sauced Vegetable Lasagna: 270 cal, 14 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 72 mg chol., 749 mg sodium, 28 g carb., 3 g dietary fiber, 13 g protein.
Nutrition Facts (Zesty Vegetable Pasta Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 339 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 548 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.