Fresh Spinach Pasta Toss
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl combine the beaten egg, the 1/4 cup finely chopped spinach, the water, and oil. Add to flour mixture; mix well.
- Sprinkle kneading surface with the remaining flour. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total). Cover and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 11-inch square (about 1/16 inch thick). Let stand, uncovered, about 20 minutes. Cut each portion of dough into 1-inch-wide strips. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook onion in butter over medium heat for 7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add broth and pepper. Bring to boiling. Stir in the pasta. Top with the torn spinach. Cook, covered, for 1 to 2 minutes more or until spinach and pasta are tender.
- To serve, ladle pasta into a bowl. Top with cheese. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Food Processor Directions:
Place steel blade in food processor bowl. Add flour, salt, egg, and the 1/4 cup finely chopped spinach to food processor bowl. Cover and process until mixture forms fine crumbs about the consistency of cornmeal. With the processor running, slowly pour water and oil through the feed tube. Continue processing just until the dough forms a ball. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Cover; let dough rest for 10 minutes. Continue as directed in Step 3, above. Makes about 1/2 pound fresh pasta (4 side-dish servings).
Nutrition Facts (Fresh Spinach Pasta Toss)
- Per serving:
- 256 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 69 mg chol. ,
- 756 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 10 g pro.