- For sauce, in a large saucepan cook sausage, onion, and garlic until meat is brown. Drain.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds (if desired), and black pepper into meat mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well; set aside.
- For filling, combine egg, ricotta, and the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce over the bottom of a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer half of the cooked noodles in the bottom of the dish, trimming or overlapping as necessary to fit. Spread with half of the filling. Spoon Bechamel Sauce (optional) over filling. Top with half of the remaining meat sauce and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. If desired, sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over top.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot in the center (160 degrees F). Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with basil. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above through step 5. Cover unbaked lasagna; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake about 20 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
For mess-free assembly, spoon the filling into a resealable plastic bag. Snip off one corner of the bag; squeeze the bag to pipe the filling over the noodles in the baking dish.
Substitute 6 no-boil lasagna noodles (one-third of a 9 ounce package) for the regular lasagna noodles and skip step 3. Omit the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, and pepper. For sauce, stir a 26-ounce jar pasta sauce into the browned meat mixture. Do not simmer. Continue as directed in step 4.
Prepare Classic Lasagna as directed, except omit beef or sausage. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Add 1 pound fresh cremini mushrooms, quartered, and 1 yellow or red sweet pepper, cut into strips, with the onion and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped zucchini and/or yellow summer squash; cook for 3 to 5 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Continue as directed.
- In a medium saucepan cook garlic in hot butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in flour until combined. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until golden. Do not let brown. Gradually whisk in warm milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts (Classic Lasagna)
- Per serving:
- 441 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 97 mg chol. ,
- 658 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.