- Snap off and discard woody bases of fresh asparagus. Rinse. Bias-slice asparagus into 1 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and ground black pepper; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add asparagus, mushrooms, wine, and salt to skillet. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in butter.
- Drain pasta; add pasta to vegetables in skillet. Toss gently to combine. Garnish with basil and crushed red pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Make all of the pasta according to packaged directions. Toss any leftover pasta with light Italian salad dressing, cooked chicken breast, fresh vegetables, and fresh basil for a spring pasta salad.
Cost-Saving Tip: If you are not a wine-drinker it would be silly to by a bottle of wine, only to use 1/4 cup. Use reduced-sodium chicken broth for the liquid instead of wine.
Convenience Tip: Rather than pealing and mincing the garlic cloves yourself, you can use 2 teaspoons of bottled minced garlic- a small jar found in the produce section.
Substitution Tip: Take this dish from weekday to holiday by using exotic mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini, and/or oyster.
Nutrition Facts (Asparagus-Mushroom Primavera)
- Per serving:
- 304 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 205 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 14 g pro.