Parsnip-Potato Mash with Leeks and Hazelnut Browned Butter
- In a Dutch oven cook the potatoes, covered, in a small amount of salted boiling water about 5 minutes. Add the parsnips; cook about 15 minutes more or until the potatoes and parsnips are tender. Drain well. Return potatoes and parsnips to the Dutch oven; add 2 tablespoons of the butter. Mash with a potato masher or fork, adding whole milk as needed to keep the mixture moist; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook leeks in 2 tablespoons of the butter about 7 minutes or until tender and just beginning to brown. Add salt and pepper. Stir leek mixture and parsley into the parsnip-potato mash.
- In the same saucepan heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over low heat until melted. Continue heating until butter turns a light golden brown. Remove from heat; add the hazelnuts.
- Gently heat and stir parsnip-potato mash over medium heat until heated through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with hazelnut mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Peel and chop potatoes; place in a bowl of water to cover. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Peel and slice parsnips and leeks. Place in an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 24 hours. Drain potatoes well. Prepare as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Parsnip-Potato Mash with Leeks and Hazelnut Browned Butter)
- Per serving:
- 186 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 452 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.