Pancetta-Stuffed Pork Chops alla Fiorentina
- Trim fat from meat. Make a pocket in each chop by cutting horizontally from fat side almost to the bone. Place pork chops in a 2-gallon heavy resealable plastic bag set in an extra-large bowl; set aside. In a small bowl combine oil, lemon peel, the 2 tablespoons rosemary, the four cloves garlic, the salt, and pepper; pour over pork. Seal bag. Chill for at least 4 hours or up to 6 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- In a large skillet cook and stir pancetta and onion over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until pancetta is brown and crispy. Stir in bread crumbs, the 2 teaspoons rosemary, the snipped oregano, and the two cloves garlic. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Remove chops from marinade; discard marinade. Spoon 1/4 of the pancetta mixture into the pocket in each chop; press top of chop lightly with fingers to secure filling. Allow chops to stand at room temperature while preheating grill.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place chops on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 25 to 30 minutes or until chops are slightly pink in center and juices run clear (145 degrees F.) (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Place chops in a roasting pan on a rack over burner that is turned off. Cover and grill as directed.) Let chops stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with oregano leaves.
Test Kitchen Tip
Give the chops deep pockets with narrow entries by using a thin-blade knife. The smaller the openings, the less likely any of the delicious stuffing will fall out on the grill.
Nutrition Facts (Pancetta-Stuffed Pork Chops alla Fiorentina)
- Per serving:
- 621 kcal ,
- 47 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 26 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 127 mg chol. ,
- 677 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 39 g pro.