- In a large mixing bowl combine water and eggs; add Oatmeal Pancake Mix. Stir just until combined but still slightly lumpy. Stir in tomatoes and sweet pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until a few drops of water dance across the surface. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the hot griddle.
- Cook over medium heat until pancakes are golden brown, turning to cook second sides when pancake surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry (about 1 to 2 minutes per side). If desired, transfer pancakes to an ovenproof platter; sprinkle with cheese. Place in a 300 degree F oven for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Makes 12 pancakes.
Oatmeal Pancake Base
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, rolled oats, dry milk powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined. Use a pastry blender to cut shortening into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks.
- To use, spoon lightly into a measuring cup and level off with a straight-edged spatula. Makes 12 cups.
From the Test Kitchen
For a special pancake mix, add 5 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to the dry mixture.
Nutrition Facts (Tomato Pancakes)
- Per serving:
- 189 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 36 mg chol. ,
- 241 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.