Pan-Roasted Beef Shoulder Tenders Au Poivre
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Sprinkle meat with pepper and salt, pressing gently to adhere. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- In an extra-large ovengoing skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat; cook 8 minutes or until well browned on all sides. Transfer skillet to oven. Roast 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare (135 degrees F).* Remove meat from skillet and cover loosely with foil. Drain off fat.
- For pan sauce, in skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots; cook 3 minutes, stirring to scrape up crusty brown bits. Remove skillet from heat. Carefully add Cognac. Return to heat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until reduced by about half. Add cream. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Slice meat and serve with pan sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Rosemary-Roasted Beef Shoulder Tenders
Prepare as directed, except reduce cracked pepper to 2 tsp. and add 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh rosemary to pepper mixture. Use dry red wine in place of the Cognac.
If using a center-cut tenderloin roast, increase roasting time to 35 minutes for medium-rare (135 degrees F).
Nutrition Facts (Pan-Roasted Beef Shoulder Tenders Au Poivre)
- Per serving:
- 643 kcal ,
- 48 g fat
- (24 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 13 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 188 mg chol. ,
- 605 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 37 g pro.