Pan de Datil Mulege (Mulege-Style Date Bread)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper. In a small bowl stir together flour, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Separate eggs; place yolks in a medium bowl and whites in a large bowl. Beat egg yolks with a mixer on high 3 minutes or until thick and lemon color. Gradually beat in granulated sugar, beating on high 2 minutes or until sugar is nearly dissolved. Beat in melted butter.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. Beat egg whites on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold yolk mixture into beaten egg whites. Gently fold in flour mixture. Fold in dates and 1 cup of the pistachios. Spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp. pistachios.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer, substitute toasted slivered almonds for the pistachio nuts.
Nutrition Facts (Pan de Datil Mulege (Mulege-Style Date Bread))
- Per serving:
- 327 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 113 mg chol. ,
- 246 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 28 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.