Oysters Rockefeller Sourdough Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. Squeeze excess liquid from spinach; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add shallots and garlic to the reserved drippings. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until shallots are tender. Carefully add Pernod, stirring to scrape up any crusty brown bits. Stir in spinach and chervil.
- In a large bowl combine bacon, spinach mixture, bread cubes, oysters, salt, and black pepper. In a small bowl combine broth, melted butter, and 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce. Drizzle broth mixture over bread mixture, tossing gently to moisten. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes more or until heated through. If desired, serve with additional hot pepper sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
No sourdough? Substitute country white bread. Don't like oysters? Use quartered fresh cremini mushrooms instead. Can't find chervil? Try tarragon.
To make dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cut fresh bread into 1/2- to 1-inch cubes. Spread the bread cubes in one or two 15x10x1-inch baking pans. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice; cool. (The cubes will continue to dry and crisp as they cool.) Or let bread cubes stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
To Make Ahead
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Cover with foil and chill for up to 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, covered, for 40 minutes. Sprinkled with cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes more or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Oysters Rockefeller Sourdough Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 281 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 820 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 14 g pro.