Overnight Cranberry Coffee Cake
- Grease and lightly flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and sour cream until combined. Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined. Stir in 1 cup of the cranberries, the orange peel, orange juice, and lemon peel (batter will be thick). Transfer batter to the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, for topping, in a small bowl stir together the remaining 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, almonds, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Cover and chill topping and the remaining 3/4 cup cranberries until needed.
- Remove coffee cake, topping, and the remaining cranberries from refrigerator. Sprinkle coffee cake with cranberries and topping. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 35 minutes. Cover loosely with foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 35 minutes. Serve warm or let cool completely and warm before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Avoid using light sour cream. This coffee cake needs the extra fat to keep it moist.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days; let stand at room temp at least 1 hour before serving.
Make it a Gift:
Cut coffee cake into 4x4-inch pieces (a full recipe will make six gifts). Place into bake and give pans, cover with lids, and wrap containers with wide ribbon, securing on bottom using glue. Wrap yarn around ribbon multiple times. Hot-glue layered vintage buttons on top of the yarn.
Nutrition Facts (Overnight Cranberry Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 374 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 69 mg chol. ,
- 334 mg sodium ,
- 50 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 28 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.