- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl combine egg and milk. For coating, in a shallow dish combine crushed cornflakes, thyme, paprika, salt, pepper; stir in melted butter. Set aside. Skin chicken. Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into egg mixture; coat with crumb mixture.
- In a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan, arrange chicken, bone side down, so the pieces aren't touching. Sprinkle chicken pieces with any remaining crumb mixture so they are generously coated.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degrees F oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Do not turn chicken pieces while baking. If desired, serve with lemon wedges and garnish with fresh thyme.
From the Test Kitchen
To make your own tenders, simply cut 1-1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast halves lengthwise into 1-inch strips.
Oven-Fried Parmesan Chicken:
Prepare as above, except omit thyme and salt and reduce crushed cornflakes to 1/2 cup. For coating, combine cornflakes; 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese; 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed; the paprika; and pepper. Stir in melted butter. Continue as above.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 231 calories, 57 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 11 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 9% Vitamin A, 2% Vitamin C, 303 mg sodium, 10% calcium, 17% iron
Oven-Fried Chicken Breast Tenders:
Prepare as above, except substitute 1-1/2 pounds chicken tenders* for meaty chicken pieces, increase crushed cornflakes to 1-3/4 cups, and place tenders in a single layer on 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake, uncovered in a 400 degrees F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Do not turn tenders while baking.
Nutrition Facts per 4 tenders: 250 cal., 7 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 112 mg chol., 336 mg sodium, 16 g carbo., 0 g dietary fiber, 29 g protein.
Daily Values: 7% vit. A, 3% calcium, 23% iron.
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 1 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Oven-Fried Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 243 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 140 mg chol. ,
- 378 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.