Osso Buco with Pappardelle
- For sauce, in a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven heat oil over high heat. Add veal shanks and veal stew meat. Cook about 5 minutes or until veal is well browned on all sides, turning to brown evenly. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and carrot to Dutch oven; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook for 30 seconds. Stir in flour; cook for 1 minute more. Carefully add tomatoes, wine, broth, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring to break up tomatoes.
- Return veal to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove veal shanks. Separate the meat and marrow from the bones. Discard bones. Stir meat and marrow back into sauce in Dutch oven.
- Serve sauce with hot pasta.
From the Test Kitchen
For the photo, we used Herbed Pappardelle cut into Fazzoletti (Handkerchiefs).
- In a food processor combine flour, eggs, egg yolks, and salt. Cover and process until mixture forms a ball. If mixture is too dry, add enough cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to make desired consistency. Or if mixture sticks to the sides of the bowl, add enough additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to make desired consistency.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Reshape into a ball. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Divide dough into four equal portions.
- Use a pasta machine according to manufacturer's directions to knead one portion of pasta dough, forming a thinly rolled, almost transparent sheet. Transfer rolled pasta dough to a lightly floured surface. Using a pastry wheel or knife, cut dough sheet into strips about 3/4-inch wide and 8 to 9 inches long. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- To cook freshly made or dried pasta, bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add pasta; cook about 4 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- To dry pasta, spread strips on wire racks or hang from a pasta-drying rack or clothes hangers. Let stand for 2 to 3 hours or until dry. Place in an airtight container and chill for up to 3 days. (Or place in a freezer container and freeze for up to 8 months.)
Nutrition Facts (Osso Buco with Pappardelle)
- Per serving:
- 437 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 233 mg chol. ,
- 1162 mg sodium ,
- 50 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.