Orange-Kissed Gingerbread Swirls
- For the Gingerbread Dough, in a large bowl combine the 1/4 cup butter, shortening, and the 1 ounce cream cheese. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in one egg and the molasses until combined. Beat in as much of 2 1/2 cups flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in the remainder of this 2 1/2 cups flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- For the Orange Dough, in another large bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and the 2 ounces cream cheese. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg, the orange peel, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of 2 1/2 cups flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in the remainder of this 2 1/2 cups flour. If desired, tint dough with orange food coloring. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Place each dough portion between two sheets of waxed paper; roll each portion into a 10x7-inch rectangle. Remove top layers of waxed paper. Brush the tops of the gingerbread dough rectangles with egg white. Invert one orange dough rectangle on top of one gingerbread dough rectangle; remove top layer of waxed paper. Roll up dough from one long edge. Pinch dough edges to seal. Wrap roll in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining gingerbread and orange dough rectangles. Freeze dough rolls about 1 hour or until firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Cut rolls into about 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and cookies are set. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Orange-Kissed Gingerbread Swirls)
- Per serving:
- 95 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 45 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.