Orange-Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
- In a small bowl combine sugar and orange peel. Press the peel into the sugar with the back of a spoon until the sugar is fragrant and begins to turn orange; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar mixture, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in milk and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time until 1/8 inch thick. Using 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until tops are set. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Prepare dough as directed using three graduated sizes of round cookie cutters to cut a top, middle, and bottom for each snowman. Slightly overlap the three dough circles on the cookie sheet for each snowman cookie. Bake and cool as directed. Lightly spread white icing or frosting on each cookie; sprinkle with shredded coconut. Use pretzel sticks for arms, licorice pieces for buttons, and assorted candies or colored frosting for eyes, nose, and mouth.
Prepare and bake dough as directed, using a people-shape cookie cutters to cut out dough. To decorate, spread or pipe glaze-consistency white Royal Icing on the body, arms, and head of each cutout. Pipe thicker-consistency black Royal Icing (or use purchased tubes of black frosting) on legs for boots, on middle for buttons, and on head for eyes. If desired, pipe red glaze-consistency Royal Icing on hands for mittens. Add a small orange candy for a nose.
Prepare and bake dough as directed using snowman-shaped cookie cutters. Spread face and body of each cookie with Creamy White Frosting. Pipe black-tinted frosting for hats, eyes, and mouth. Pipe red-tinted frosting for scarf and mittens. Press round black candies into frosting for buttons. If desired, pipe dots of white frosting on buttons.
Nutrition Facts (Orange-Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 79 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 61 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.