Recipes and Cooking Orange Chiffon Cake with Marshmallow Flowers Sweet! The floral decorations atop this orange chiffon cake recipe are made with sliced marshmallows dipped in colored sugar. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on April 20, 2021 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Andy Lyons Prep Time: 30 mins Stand Time: 30 mins Bake Time: 30 mins Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 16 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 2 eggs 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour 1 ½ cup sugar 2 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt ½ cup milk ⅓ cup vegetable oil ½ cup orange juice 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange or lemon peel 1 ½ teaspoon snipped fresh thyme (optional) 1 recipe Honey Frosting Flower Decorations Large and tiny marshmallows Tinted sugar White baking chocolate, melted Sugar pearl decorations Green tiny marshmallows Honey Frosting 5 ounce mascarpone cheese or cream cheese (2/3 cup) 3 tablespoon butter ¼ cup honey ½ teaspoon vanilla 3 cup powdered sugar Directions Separate eggs. Allow egg yolks and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease one 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pan and one 8x1-1/2-inch round cake pan. Line bottoms of pans with parchment. Grease the paper. Flour pans, shaking out excess; set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F. In large mixing bowl stir together flour, 1 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Add milk and oil. Beat with mixer on low until combined. Add egg yolks and orange juice; beat for 1 minute. Thoroughly wash beaters. In separate large mixing bowl beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beat until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Pour batter in thin stream over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. Fold in orange peel and thyme, if using. Spoon 3 cups batter into the 9-inch pan and 2 cups batter into 8-inch pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool completely on wire racks. Remove from pans. Discard parchment. Meanwhile, prepare Honey Frosting. Place each layer on wire rack over a tray lined with waxed paper. Heat frosting as directed in recipe to soften. Spread softened frosting on each layer t coat. (If frosting becomes too firm too spread, microwave for 10 seconds at a time.) Let layers stand to set. To assemble, on serving plate, stack small layer on large larger. Decorate with Marshmallow Flowers. Marshmallow Flowers Cut marshmallows crosswise with scissors. Place on waxed paper and sprinkle or dip cut sides of marshmallows with/in the sugar. Or dip cut sides in sugar. Place large dots of melted white chocolate on waxed paper. Arrange five petals on each dot. Chill about 5 minutes to set. Pipe a small dot of frosting in each flower center; adhere a sugar pearl. Arrange flowers in clusters, with tiny green marshmallows for leaves. NOTE: Flowers can be made and stored between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container up to 3 days. Honey Frosting Allow mascarpone cheese and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In large mixing bowl beat cheese, butter, honey, and vanilla with mixer on medium until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency. Place in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave n 100% power (high) for 20 to 30 seconds, just to soften (do not melt). Makes 2 1/2 cups. * To tint coarse or regular granulated sugar desired colors, place sugar in a self-sealing plastic bag. Add a few drops of food coloring; seal bag and shake until sugar is evenly coated. Spread colored sugar on a waxed paper-lined shallow baking pan and let dry about 15 minutes before using. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 383 Calories 12g Fat 66g Carbs 5g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 16 Calories 383 % Daily Value * Total Fat 12g 15% Saturated Fat 5g 25% Cholesterol 41mg 14% Sodium 232mg 10% Total Carbohydrate 66g 24% Total Sugars 51g Protein 5g Vitamin C 4.1mg 21% Calcium 60.6mg 5% Iron 1.1mg 6% Potassium 64mg 1% Folate, total 40.3mcg Vitamin B-12 0.1mcg Vitamin B-6 0mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.