Olive Oil Cake with Chardonnay Sabayon
For Olive Oil Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a bowl stir together almond meal, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl beat butter on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, olive oil, and zest, beating until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low 30 seconds after each until combined. (Batter will be thick.) Add flour mixture; beat until combined. Stir in buttermilk. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and surface is golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
For Chardonnay Sabayon
- Place a medium heatproof bowl on top of double boiler, being careful that water doesn't touch bowl. Add 4 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 2 tablespoons Chardonnay. Cook 10 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (160 degrees F), whisking constantly. Remove bowl from double boiler. Beat with a mixer on medium 2 minutes or until cool. In a large bowl beat 1/2 cup heavy cream and 2 teaspoons sugar with mixer on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually fold in yolk mixture until combined. Chill, covered, until ready to serve or up to 1 day.
For Roasted Stone Fruit
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place 4 apricots, halved and pitted, in a baking pan. Drizzle with reserved 1 tablespoon honey glaze; toss to coat. Arrange cut side down. Roast 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown and soft. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Top cake with Chardonnay Sabayon and Roasted Stone Fruit. If desired, garnish with edible flowers and herbs.
From the Test Kitchen
Almond meal and almond flour are interchangeable, but there are subtle differences. Meal is coarsely ground skin-on almonds; flour is finely ground blanched skinless almonds.
Nutrition Facts (Olive Oil Cake with Chardonnay Sabayon)
- Per serving:
- 422 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 171 mg chol. ,
- 143 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 34 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.