Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a very large bowl, stir together the 1/3 cup sugar, the cornstarch, and cinnamon; add peaches and toss gently to mix. Gently stir in the water. Spread fruit mixture evenly in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened. Knead mixture gently to shape into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a 2- to 2-1/2-inch star cookie cutter, cut out 12 stars, rerolling as needed. Arrange dough stars atop fruit mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until stars are lightly browned and fruit mixture is bubbly in the center. Cool for 30 minutes. Serve warm. If desired, serve with frozen yogurt. Makes 12 servings (1 star plus about 2/3 cup peach mixture).
From the Test Kitchen
Choose from Splenda® Granular or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 147 cal., 28 carbo. Exchanges: 0.5 other carbo.
Nutrition Facts (Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler)
- Per serving:
- 175 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 11 mg chol. ,
- 129 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.