- In a 2-quart ovengoing, nonstick saucepan* stir together the warm water and yeast until yeast is dissolved. Stir in flour, sugar, oil, and salt until combined. Cover with lid; let stand in a warm place for 1 hour. Stir down. Cover and chill overnight.
- Before baking, let dough stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake in the saucepan, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until top is golden, bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 200 degrees F. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover loosely wiith foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Immediately loosen sides and remove bread from saucepan. Cool on a wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
Cheesy Bacon Bread:
Prepare as directed, except stir in 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese (2 ounces), 1/4 cup crisp-cooked and crumbled bacon, 2 tablespoons coarse ground mustard, and 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, toasted, with the flour. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.
Nutrition per Serving: 171 calories, 6 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 409 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 8% iron
Sweet Potato Bread:
Prepare as directed, except reduce the water to 1 1/4 cups. Stir in 1/2 cup mashed cooked sweet potato and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice with the flour.
Nutrition per Serving: 153 calories, 4 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 43% Vitamin A, 3% Vitamin C, 295 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 9% iron
Prepare as directed, except stir in 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the flour. Cover loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking.
Nutrition per Serving: 161 calories, 4 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 6 g total sugar, 0% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 292 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 8% iron
For a traditional loaf-shape bread, use an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan instead of the saucepan. Line the loaf pan with parchment paper. Mix the dough in a large bowl and transfer to the prepared loaf pan; cover with greased or nonstick foil during standing and chilling in Step 1. Bake about 35 minutes or until top is golden, bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 200 degrees F.
Nutrition Facts (No-Knead Bread)
- Per serving:
- 142 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 292 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.