- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread two-thirds of the tortilla chips on an 11- or 12-inch ovenproof platter or pizza pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef over medium heat until brown. Drain off fat.
- Add the beans and the 1 cup salsa to the beef. Spoon about two-thirds of the mixture over chips. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Bake about 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven. Top with remaining chips, beef mixture, and cheese. Bake about 10 minutes more or until cheese melts.
- If desired, top with green onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, pickled jalapeno slices, sour cream, and/or additional salsa.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except omit beef and skip Step 2. Add another 15-ounce can black beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained, to the bean mixture.
Per serving: 314 calories, 14 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 8% Vitamin A, 7% Vitamin C, 746 mg sodium, 25% calcium, 16% iron Exchanges: 2.5 starch, 1 lean meat, 2 fat Carb Choice: 2.5
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces, for the ground beef. Cook until chicken pieces are no longer pink.
Per serving: 337 calories, 23 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 8% Vitamin A, 8% Vitamin C, 643 mg sodium, 23% calcium, 11% iron Exchanges: 2 starch, 2.5 lean meat, 2 fat Carb Choice: 2
Nutrition Facts (Nachos)
- Per serving:
- 417 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 63 mg chol. ,
- 615 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.