- In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, honey, butter, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add to flour mixture along with the 2 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl frequently. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat and rye flours, the 1/2 cup oats, the wheat germ, and the 1 tablespoon cornmeal. Stir in as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise until double (1 to 11/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into six portions. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two large baking sheets. Lightly sprinkle baking sheets with additional cornmeal or oats.
- Divide each portion of dough into thirds. Shape each third into a ball by pulling dough and pinching underneath. Flatten and pull each ball to form a 4x2-inch oval. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Using kitchen shears, make 3 slanted cuts about 3/4 inch deep on both long sides of each oval, creating a feathered look. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the beaten egg with the water. Brush rolls with the egg mixture. Sprinkle rolls with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, chai seeds, and/or additional cornmeal. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Place rolls in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag; cover or seal. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. To reheat, place rolls on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Multigrain Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 44 mg chol. ,
- 298 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.