Cranberry-Pumpkin Scones with Sugared Pepitas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries and toss well. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the 2 eggs, half-and-half, and pumpkin. Add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut circle into eight wedges.
- Place wedges 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl combine the 1 egg with the 1 tablespoon water. Brush wedges lightly with egg mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet. Let cool for 5 minutes before spreading with glaze.
- For glaze, in a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, the 1 tablespoon butter, the 2 teaspoons orange peel, and the orange juice until well combined.
- Spoon glaze over warm scones, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with some of the Sugared Pepitas* and, if desired, additional shredded orange peel. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Store remaining Sugared Pepitas in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Use Sugared Pepitas on cheesecake, muffins, salads, or just to snack on.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a small saucepan combine 1/3 cup sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Let mixture cool. In a medium bowl combine pepitas with cooled sugar mixture; toss well to combine. Spread in prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown and crisp, stirring twice. Let cool on baking sheet. Makes 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Pumpkin Scones with Sugared Pepitas)
- Per serving:
- 544 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 119 mg chol. ,
- 401 mg sodium ,
- 82 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 47 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.
cabenjamin 267 Days Ago
I followed the recipe exactly with a good outcome. The scones were really very tasty, though cakey and not dense (my preference). The pepitas were awful and I would skip them completely if making the recipe . again. I would also add more cranberries. The frosting was delicious, but I had to use additional orange juice and zest. I had way to much frosting on hand making the scones too sweet. Would probably half the recipe for the future.