- Lightly grease twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another large bowl combine carrot, apple, raisins, nuts, and coconut.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into the carrot mixture. Add the egg-and-carrot mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Spoon the batter into prepared cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from the cups; serve warm or cool. Makes 24 muffins.
From the Test Kitchen
For a lower-fat muffin
Reduce cooking oil to 1/3 cup and use 3 tablespoons fat-free milk. Stir in 1/2 cup applesauce with egg mixture.
To make jumbo muffins, line 10-ounce custard cups with paper baking cups. Spoon in the batter as directed. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
For Carrot-Apple Bread:
Prepare batter as above, except grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Carrot-Apple Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 181 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- 27 mg chol. ,
- 163 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb.