- Choose muffin size; if making mini-muffins, cut recipe in half. In a large mixing bowl stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl beat eggs; stir in brown sugar, applesauce, and cooking oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (the batter should be lumpy). Fold in rhubarb. Make desired-size muffins.
- Lightly grease 3-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; fill 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until tops are firm and golden. Remove from pans; serve warm. Makes 10 muffins.
- Lightly grease 1-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; fill 2/3 full. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans; serve warm. Makes about 28 muffins.
- Lightly grease 2-3/4-inch muffin cups or line them with paper bake cups; fill 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until muffin tops are golden. Remove muffins from the pans; serve warm. Makes about 24 muffins.
- Nutrition facts are based on regular muffins.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake muffins as directed. Cool; place in a freezer container. Freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator or wrap in foil and heat in a 300 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Applesauce-Rhubarb Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 157 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 18 mg chol. ,
- 119 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.