- In a large bowl combine Parmesan cheese, basil (if desired), tomatoes, garlic, pepper, and salt. Add ground beef and Italian sausage; mix well. Shape meat mixture into twelve 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Cut mozzarella cheese into six 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place mozzarella cheese on the centers of six of the patties. Top with the remaining six patties; pinch edges together to seal.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place patties on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 20 to 25 minutes or until done (160 degrees F),* turning patties once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking and grill as above.)
- Serve burgers in buns with Basil-Olive Mayonnaise.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare burgers as directed in Steps 1 and 2: In a storage container layer patties between sheets of waxed paper; cover and chill overnight. Prepare Basil-Olive Mayonnaise; cover and chill overnight. Continue with Steps 3 and 4.
The internal color of a burger is not a reliable doneness indicator. A beef, pork, or sausage patty cooked to 160 degrees F is safe, regardless of color. To measure the doneness of a patty, insert an instant-read thermometer through the side of the patty to a depth of 2 to 3 inches.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, Kalamata olive tapenade, and snipped fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts (Mozzarella-Stuffed Burgers)
- Per serving:
- 734 kcal ,
- 50 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 141 mg chol. ,
- 1025 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 41 g pro.