Morrocan Semolina Cookies
- Position racks to divide oven in thirds; preheat to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine almond and semolina flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Add granulated sugar to a large mixing bowl. Finely grate the lemon zest over the sugar, and rub ingredients together until sugar is moist and fragrant. Add eggs, and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. With mixer running, pour in the oil and beat for 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and, if desired, orange flower water. Add half of the dry ingredients, beating on low just until combined. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients (dough will be thick).
- Sift some powdered sugar into a small bowl. Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; roll in powdered sugar. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Gently press your thumb in the center of each ball.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes (rotate pans top to bottom and front to back after 8 minutes) or until golden on bottom and firm to the touch (they'll puff and crack on top). Transfer to wire racks to cool. If desired, top cooled cookies with additional powdered sugar and lemon zest.
From the Test Kitchen
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days (dust them with more confectioners' sugar if the sugar seeps into the cookies). Because of the sugar coating, these are not good candidates for freezing.
Nutrition Facts (Morrocan Semolina Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 99 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 40 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.