Moroccan-Spiced Butternut Squash Butter
- In a 5-quart heavy pot combine Butternut Squash Puree, brown sugar, pomegranate juice, lemon peel, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, salt, ginger, allspice, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently (if mixture spatters, reduce heat further).
- Ladle squash butter into half-pint canning jars, airtight storage containers, or freezer containers, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Cool for 30 minutes. Seal and label.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.
From the Test Kitchen
Butternut Squash Puree:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut two 3- to 3 1/2-pound butternut squash in half lengthwise. Arrange halves, cut sides down, on the prepared baking sheet. Roast, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scrape pulp from rinds. Working in batches, place pulp in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer puree to a fine-mesh sieve lined with a double thickness of damp 100-percent cotton cheesecloth. Let stand for 1 hour to drain. Press lightly to remove any additional liquid; discard liquid.
Try this butter with cooked chicken or pork.
Nutrition Facts (Moroccan-Spiced Butternut Squash Butter )
- Per serving:
- 54 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 26 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.