- In a small saucepan cook rutabaga and eggplant in enough boiling water to cover about 15 minutes or until very tender; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl dissolve espresso powder in the 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir in brown sugar. Cover and chill.
- In a blender combine rutabaga mixture, espresso mixture, bananas, almond milk, yogurt, almond butter, cocoa powder, and honey. Cover and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.*
- Pour mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze overnight until firm. Transfer smoothie cubes to a 1-gallon freezer bag; seal and freeze for up to 6 months.
- To serve, in a blender combine 6 smoothis cubes and 3 tablespoons milk per serving. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into tall glasses and serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, add 3/4 cup milk to the pureed mixture. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into tall glasses and serve immediately. (Or transfer the prepared smoothies to an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator if frozen. Stir well before serving.)
Nutrition Facts (Mocha-Almond Smoothies)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 5 mg chol. ,
- 106 mg sodium ,
- 51 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 39 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.