Mixed Seafood Paella
- In a small bowl combine saffron and 1/4 cup hot water; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 15-inch paella pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add squid to pan. Cook, turning frequently, 30 to 60 seconds or until squid have released their juices and are no longer translucent. Transfer to a plate. Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and paprika. Cook and stir 5 minutes more or until thickened and almost pastelike.
- Add fish stock, saffron mixture, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to boiling over high heat. Add rice and sweet pepper, stirring to evenly distribute. Cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 10 to 12 minutes. (If your pan is bigger than your burner, rotate it every few minutes to ensure the rice cooks evenly.) Reduce heat to medium-low; add mussels and clams. Cook, without stirring, 5 to 10 minutes more until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is al dente. Turn heat to high. Cook, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes more (edges should look dry and a crust should form on the bottom). Remove from heat. Cover pan with foil. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Top with green onions and cherry tomatoes.
From the Test Kitchen
To grate tomatoes, core and cut tomatoes in half. Grate on the coarse holes of a box grater into a shallow dish. Discard skins.
To soak clams, in a large bowl combine 2 quarts water and 2 tablespoons salt. Add clams and soak for 15 minutes. Drain, rinse, and repeat.
Prepare as directed except reduce rice to 1 1/2 cups and reduce chicken broth to 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Mixed Seafood Paella)
- Per serving:
- 392 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 104 mg chol. ,
- 640 mg sodium ,
- 62 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.